Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Plan....Now with new goals!!!

So about a month and a half ago I came up with a four step plan to help get my non-sleeping baby girl to sleep better. At that point in our lives it took anywhere from 20min - 2 hours or more to get her to go to sleep much less stay asleep. Due to some difficult work we are now worlds away from that time but still not in perfect dreamy sleep land.
The Plan:
#1. Ween her off of the "cuddle blankets".
#2. Get her on more of a regular schedule.
#3. Ween her off the swaddle.
#4. Help her learn to go to sleep on her own.

In light of some of the advances we have made I have decided to add additional goals to the sleep plan. I know I am crazy....

#5. Get rid of paci!
#6. Get her to the point where we can just lay her down say goodnight and she will go to sleep.

How The Plan is going:
#2. So apparently this needed to be much further down on the list if not completely off of the list. With the utter unpredictability of naps it is all but impossible to try and keep some kind of regular schedule. And since I have no idea how to get her to sleep for a regular or reasonable amount at nap time I suppose we will remain using the wake, eat, play sleep cycle that we have been using and hope that someday we can add some actual time slots to each of those activities. 

#4. For the most part she puts herself to sleep. She still cry's sometimes when we put her down but never for longer than about 15 min at the extreme most. She does however cry and never goes to sleep when she is put down in the pack and play :-( which is very frustrating since that is where she needs to sleep when we are out. She was doing better sleeping at night going a 9 hour stretch and then a 3 or 4 hour stretch. and. then. she went back to only sleeping a 5 hour stretch and then waking every 2 or 3 hours. I have no idea why and I have no idea what to do about it! For naps she has been doing fairly well for the most part. On good days taking one 1  1/2 hour or more nap and two 45 min to 1 hour naps. On bad days she takes three to four 30 min naps. She seems to be having more good day's than bad.

#5. I never wanted to use a paci to begin with. I just thought why start something we are going to have to try and quit someday? I actually ended up caving in the hospital! Sophie just wanted to eat and eat and since we had to spend three day's in the hospital due to the c-section and they frown on you sleeping in bed with the baby I was desperate to give her something to suck on besides me so I could sleep! She never really took it very well and never ever took it outside of going to sleep. These day's for the most part when I put her down in bed she usually pull's it out anyway! So starting at nights only I will be trying to rock her without the paci and then put her down.

#6. After I get rid of the paci (hopefully) I am going to start trying to move from rocking her and then putting her down to just laying her down and saying goodnight!

And so the plan continues...
Photobucket
She loves to jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment